Blue & Gold Staff Attends Palm Beach Post Luncheon

Palm Beach Post

CN Blue & Gold staff writers attend the Palm Beach Post Luncheon.

Cardinal Newman student journalists from the CN Blue & Gold attended The Palm Beach Post’s 38th annual Excellence in High School Journalism Awards luncheon in May. High school journalists from across Palm Beach County were invited, with a total of sixteen schools in attendance.

The journalists had the opportunity to listen to keynote speaker Greg Lovett, a multimedia photojournalist for the Post, as he discussed “seeing the world in pictures,” covering the Parkland shooting, and other emotional news topics. Lovett provided the high school journalists with valuable advice and reiterated the importance of journalism, especially in our time and age.

Awards were given for cartooning/illustrating, column writing, editorial writing, entertainment writing, feature writing, news writing, sports writing, page design, photography, social media, general excellence-student, general excellence-website, and general excellence-newspaper. The awards were presented by notable staff members of the Palm Beach Post: Timothy D. Burke, publisher; Nicholas Moschella, managing editor; and Tami Trolley, executive assistant.

The event placed an emphasis on “passionate journalism, searching for the truth, and using powerful images,” according to The Palm Beach Post program.

Journalists from the CN Blue & Gold were inspired by the work of their peers and were able to see firsthand the importance of journalism and its impact. The Palm Beach Post’s Excellence in High School Journalism Awards luncheon was a learning experience and instilled an excitement for journalism in the CN Blue & Gold journalists.

Elena Gonzales, staff writer for the CN Blue & Gold said, “This trip was very exciting and helped me understand and appreciate the importance of journalism. I learned a lot about journalism and I like the idea of being a reporter as a career path.”