CN Drama Club Sets the Stage for a New School Year

Find out all about the Drama Club and all it has to offer for this school year!

Welcome back Crusaders! This summer truly flew by. While we are definitely disappointed that the curtains have closed on summer break, Cardinal Newman’s Drama Club is excited to commence the new school year. With so many new ideas, projects, and faces, a lot of planning has taken place to make this a fantastic year. Over the summer, the Cardinal Newman Drama Club officers and moderators met at school to discuss prospects for this year’s musical, meeting schedules, and much more. Here are your officers for the 2021-2022 school year!

• President: Alessia Prenda (12th grade)
  • Vice President: Zachary Kaufman (12th grade)
  • Secretary: Ashley Sumi (11th grade)
  • Treasurer: Jessie Joseph: (12th grade)

At their meeting, these students worked hard to brainstorm fundraising ideas, such as a karaoke lunch, and how to increase involvement of the student body in their club. It is important to encourage new students to join this great club where they can feel comfortable expressing themselves and mastering different skills. Students often shy away from participating in Drama Club due to their fear of public performance and speaking; what many do not realize is that there are countless opportunities to participate in the club without being onstage. For example, students can choose to work in a variety of specialties like Lighting, Sound, Stage Direction, Set Design, Prop Design, and more. If you are looking for a great club to join, consider the benefits Drama Club, which include:

• Teamwork and cooperation skills
  • Long-lasting friendships and a sense of community
  • Artistic expression and a creative outlet
  • Mentorship
  • Leadership skills
  • Reduced insecurity in one’s abilities

We are excited to report that the director and moderator of Drama Club for the 2021-2022 school year is a new teacher at Cardinal Newman High School. Alumni Mrs. Mirabent will be starting her first year as an english teacher along with her work in the drama department. During her years as a student at Cardinal Newman, Mrs. Mirabent was an avid participant in the Drama Club and Band; artistic expression has always been a driving force in her life.  Last year, she took up the responsibility of Drama Club moderator following Mr. Skantar’s retirement. She jumped in with both feet and didn’t hesitate to do everything in her power to make the 2020-2021 school year a memorable one for the Drama Club. She will continue to lead the club in the best way, through friendship, guidance, and encouragement. We can’t wait to see what this year holds for the Cardinal Newman Drama Club!